Pastel Painting Palette, What You Will Need

Before buying any pastels, have you considered the type of paintings you're going to do? Will you be painting landscapes, still life or seascapes. Or maybe abstract, portraits or animals? You see, for different topics you'll need different palettes.
I tend to always paint seascapes and landscapes, so I know my colours off by heart, but I still love to go into an art shop and look at their compartments full of pastels of every shade and hue. I just love bringing home colours that I know are going to look good portraying trees and leaves, flowers and plants, or maybe stormy seas. Then again, what about a beautiful beach scene with palm trees? You'll soon get to know what you need.
You can buy pastels from good art supply shops and from companies on-line. I buy some things from on-line catalogues, because they can be good value, especially when I buy mounts in bulk, or canvases for my acrylic paintings. I do buy pastels as well, but if you're starting out, you'd probably be best to go to shops because then you'll get to see the colours first - hand and you won't be disappointed if you receive colours in the post that differ to what you thought.
To begin with I would suggest the following, and you can always add more if you decide you like using pastels and want to carry on. There are expensive makes, such as Kremer which retail at around £2 each, (2009), and you can buy Sennelier pastels which are extra soft and they retail at around the same price. Rembrandt sell a good range retailing at around £1.50 each. Another good make is Daler Rowney which are ideal for beginners as they retail for around £1.30 each and oil pastels around 60p. Faber -Castell make good square soft pastels.

No comments:

Post a Comment